MA, DCPsych, AFBPsS, FBPsS, CPsychol, HCPC registered practitioner psychologist
- NSPC Roles
- Research Coordinator,
I am a Chartered Counselling Psychologist, Fellow of the British Psychological Society and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I offer Research Supervision (both primary and secondary) on the Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy Master’s and Doctorate programmes.
A doctoral graduate of NSPC, with an MA in psychology from Edinburgh University, I have worked in Higher Education for the last 25 years in a range of positions (from administrator to Dean) at eight different universities.
I am currently not available to take on any new supervisees. My availability may change in September 2021.
My research interests are wide and encompass but are not limited to the following:
- All aspects of existential and phenomenological psychotherapeutic practice including ways of delivering such therapies with diverse populations, clients with trauma, relationship issues or challenges in finding meaning and ways of delivering innovatively;
- Post traumatic stress and resilience/post traumatic growth;
- Psychological and psychotherapeutic needs of military and other uniformed populations;
- Working existentially with addictions, intimate partner violence, child to parent violence;
- Family, intimate relationships, adolescents;
- Working with chronic illness and disability;
- Social, cultural and ethical issues in psychotherapy.
I have experience of using and supervising the following methodologies: IPA, SEA, Descriptive Phenomenology, Thematic Analysis, narrative methods and Autoethnography.
Iacovou, S. & Weixel-Dixon, K. (2015). Existential Therapy: 100 Key Points and Techniques. Routledge
Deurzen, van, E. & Iacovou, S. (2013) Existential Perspectives on Relationship Therapy. Palgrave Macmillan.
Iacovou, S. (2011). What is the difference between existential anxiety and so called neurotic anxiety? 'the sine qua non of true vitality' an examination of the difference between existential anxiety and neurotic anxiety. Existential Analysis, 22(2), 356.
Iacovou, S. (2009). Are wellbeing, health and happiness appropriate goals for existential therapists? Existential Analysis, 20(2), 262.
Back to Faculty Members