About the Course
- Course Duration
- 4 years
- Available Study Modes
- Intensive Study, Saturday Weekly or Wednesday - Weekly
The Professional Doctorate in Existential Psychotherapy and Counselling is a joint programme between NSPC and Middlesex University. Successful completion of the doctoral programme leads to the award of a DProf degree by Middlesex University. Successful completion of the DProf also qualifies candidates for full membership of the University Psychotherapy and Counselling Association and thus also for the Universities Training College, which confers eligibility for UKCP accreditation as an existential psychotherapist.
Completion of the full professional doctorate or the MProf (4 years or 3 years of study respectively) together with further placement and supervision at NSPC (up to 450 hours of supervised practice) qualifies a candidate to apply for accreditation with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. In addition the DProf also enables candidates to apply to the supervision recognition scheme of BACP, since the four-year doctoral programme includes one year of supervision and group leadership training.
Like the DCPsych, the philosophy of this programme is existential, which means that the focus of students’ practical work will be on understanding the human predicaments of their clients in a philosophical way. It draws on the work of existential and phenomenological thinkers and on the practice of existential psychotherapy.
However, unlike the DCPsych, students on this course are not required to have studied psychology.
The latest course fees are available here.
Programme of Study
- Critical Psychopathology Practice
- Critical Psychopathology Theory
- Existential Practice
- Existential Theory
- Intro to Psychotherapy Theory & Practice
- Overview of Research Methods
- Psychoanalytic Theory
- Psychoanalytic Theory & Practice
- Advanced Existential
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Theory & Methods (Y2)
- Critical Psychopathology
- Development Through the Life Span
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Y2 Clinical Supervision
- Y2 Research supervision
- Advanced Research Seminar
- Families & Systems Therapy
- Part 1 Research Project
- Social, Cultural & Ethical Issues
- Working with Gender, Sexuality and other differences in identities
- Y3 Clinical Supervision
- Y3 Research Supervision
- Existential Group Training
- Existential Supervision Training
- Leadership Training
- Preparation for Viva
- Research Project Part 2 Final- Doctorates
- Y4 Clinical Supervision
- Y4 Research Supervision