About the Course
- Course Duration
- 4 years
- Available Study Modes
- Intensive Study, Saturday Weekly or Wednesday - Weekly
The Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy by Professional Studies is a joint programme between NSPC and Middlesex University. It is designed for students who have obtained the Graduate Basis for Chartering of the British Psychological Society.
The course may be taken full-time, over 4 years, although a January start may extend the course by one term; or part-time for a longer period. For the first two years, students may participate as distance learners, attending on an intensive basis for blocks of study, or as weekly attenders, attending NSPC in London either on a Wednesday for three ten week terms, or on a Saturday. Some of the modules may also be studied online with intensive online tutor support. Weekly attenders may also be required to attend some intensives.
The third and fourth years of the course are provided by 5 day intensives or, for some modules, online with intensive online supervision.
The final dissertation will therefore include a discursive, philosophical element and the research will usually be based on phenomenological enquiry.
The latest course fees are available here.
- a good Bachelor's Degree in Psychology
- Graduate basis for chartership (GBC) with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- An introductory course in psychotherapy and counselling such as the Foundation Course offered by the Existential Academy
- Some counselling practice, either professionally or in a voluntary position, for instance with Childline or the Samaritans
- Personal suitability for the course to be demonstrated at interview
- Fluent English (ELTS for study score of 7.0 or TOEFL score of 87)
Programme of Study
- Critical Psychopathology Practice
- Critical Psychopathology Theory
- Existential Practice
- Existential Theory
- Intro to Counselling Psychology Theory & Practice
- Psychoanalytic Theory
- Psychoanalytic Theory & Practice
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Advanced Existential
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Theory & Methods (Y2)
- Critical Psychopathology
- Development Through the Life Span
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Advanced Research Seminar
- Counselling Psychology Settings & Integration
- Counselling Psychology Skills & Assessment
- Part 1 Research Project
- Social, Cultural & Ethical Issues
- Existential Group Training
- Existential Supervision Training
- Leadership Training
- Preparation for Viva
- Research Project Part 2 Final- Doctorates