- Precursors of psychoanalysis. Mesmer and the Nancy school, theories of the cognitive unconscious, Breuer, actual neurosis, 19th. century accounts of child abuse, Kraftt-Ebbing, and the Project
- Screen memories and the Oedipus complex, hysteria, repression, the return of the repressed, transference, the topographical model, resistance, the semiology of symptoms
- The elaboration of meta-psychology, drive theory, the structural theory of the mind, narcissism, fixation of sexual development. The critiques of Jung, Adler, and Groddeck. The defence of Anna Freud.
- Fairbairn, Rivers, and anthropology. The problem of reality. Child analysis. Klein. Object relations theorists. Kernberg
- Empiricism and psychoanalysis. Balint, Winnicott, Grinker, Bowlby
- Empiricism and psychoanalysis 2. Developmental psychology. Kanner, Bick, Mahler, Spitz, Stern
- Ego and identity: ego psychology, Erikson, self psychology of Kohut
- Language and psychotherapy: the French school, Deleuze, Lacan
- Modern developments: relational, interpersonal, intersubjective
- Critiques of psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic responses: the hermeneutic turn, narrative theory, feminist, Marxist, and queer theory critiques, empirical critques (Gruenberg), ad hominem critiques (Masson).