- Philosophical treatments of morality and ethics: universal or conventional? Cultural and social factors in ethics.
- Key elements of professional ethics: consent and autonomy. Research ethics. Some great research scandals.
- Confidentiality non-maleficence
- Autonomy and power. Capacity, and decision making. Advanced directives, powers of attorney
- Neo-Aristotelian approaches. Care, beneficence, and non-maleficence. Risks of exploitation and the role of an ethics code in protecting children and vulnerable adults. Parens patriae and safeguarding, Independent safeguarding agency.
- Social and political approaches. Principles of justice and human rights.
- Society and culture. Emic and etic approaches. Big group and small group sociology.
- Are there cultural and social universals, and therefore the possibility of a transcultural psychotherapy.
- Theorizing and practising between cultures. Hegemony. Cultural competence
- Social institutions. How to embed ethical awareness and cultural competence in professional practice.